More About Marshall Flax
Marshall came to the Council in January of 1992 and is the Director of the Vision Rehabilitation Service.
He is a Certified Low Vision Therapist and a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist. Marshall provides low vision services and orientation and mobility services to people who have lost or are losing their sight.
He is nationally recognized for his work in these areas and has authored several articles and co-authored a book on the subject. Marshall’s professional affiliations include Honorary Associate with the University of Wisconsin Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Honorary Fellow with the Waisman Center at the UW-Madison, and he has served on the Board of Directors of the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (2001-06).
He enjoys wilderness canoe trips in the Boundary Waters/Quetico, mountain biking and cross-country skiing.
- Nelipovich M, Kossick RJ, Flax ME: Survey of Low Vision Services in Wisconsin. J Vision Rehabilitation, Vol 5 (No 2) Spring 1991
- Flax M, Golembiewski D, McCaulley B: Coping With Low Vision, Singular Publishing Group, Inc., San Diego, 1993
- Flax M, Luchterhand C: Aging with Developmental Disabilities: Changes in Vision in the Aging with Mental Retardation series, The Arc of the United States, Arlington, TX, 1996
- Flax M, Training for Reading with Low Vision in Increasing Literacy Levels for Individuals with Blindness/Visual Impairment, Huebner K and Tucker L eds., Penn. College of Optometry, 1996
- Watson GR, Quillman RD, Flax M, Gerritsen, B: The Development of Low Vision Certification. J Visual Impairment and Blindness, 93 (7) 451-6. July 1999
- Flax M, Compensation for Deficits in Reading and Writing in Low Vision Rehabilitation for Older Adults, Warren M ed., American Occupational Therapy Association, 2000
- Flax, M (Ed.), Study Guide for the Low Vision Therapist Certification Examination, AER, 2002
- Kaldenberg J, Flax M , Evaluation and Compensation for Deficits in Reading and Writing in Low Vision Rehabilitation for Older Adults Revised Edition, Warren M ed., American Occupational Therapy Association, 2009
- Flax, et al, Study Guide for the Low Vision Therapist Certification Examination AER 2008