Position Description and Application
Founded in 1952, the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired (WCBVI) is a statewide non-profit organization whose mission is to promote the dignity and empowerment of the people of Wisconsin who are blind and visually impaired through advocacy, education and vision services. The values that guide our work are inclusivity, uncompromising respect and integrity.
WCBVI is seeking to hire a qualified individual as a program associate. This is a 30 hours/week, part-time, hourly position based at the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired, 754 Williamson St, Madison, WI 53703.
The program associate provides logistical support to Council programs, publications and events, as well as basic IT support. This position reports to the Planning Coordinator.
- Capture information from potential vision services clients and refer to appropriate vision services professionals.
- Provide customer service as primary back-up for Council reception and Sharper Vision Store staff. Our main client base is older adults and their families.
- Provide logistical support for Council events including board meetings, Legislative Day, Gallery Night, etc.
- Input content and design weekly Council online newsletters into our Constant Contact email interface.
- Update and maintain Council email lists and create lists upon request from other staff.
- Support the audio recording of Council newsletters.
- Update Council website as directed by supervisor, including posting e-newsletters.
- Perform other basic IT tasks as directed by supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned, such as converting PDFs to accessible formats.
Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals in a patient, empathetic, and understanding manner.
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Demonstrated skill with MS Office Suite software; including Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Extremely well-organized, maintains a high level of accuracy and able to stay focused on multiple projects.
- Motivated to collaborate across all levels of the organization and with community partners.
- Committed to inclusivity, uncompromising respect and integrity in working with diverse populations.
- Dedicated to on-going learning, including the ability to utilize feedback for performance improvement.
- Skill with online newsletter platforms and web interfaces preferred.
- Ability to speak Spanish valued.
Education and Professional Experience Requirements
A strong candidate will have experience in at least one of the following areas;
- Customer service.
- Online publications.
- Website and email list management.
- Project management.
- Associates Degree or higher preferred.
Occasional evening and potential Saturday hours can be expected. Background check required.
The Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer. People with vision impairments and other disabilities, women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
WCBVI offers an attractive benefit package. Pay is commensurate with duties and experience and with similar positions in the nonprofit sector.
Submit cover letter, highlighting pertinent experience and training along with a resume and responses to the screening questions below by Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Applications are to be submitted in MS Word and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Preferred start date is late January 2020.
Written Screening Questions
In a separate document, please respond to the following three questions in complete sentences, with proper grammar and punctuation. Each response should be approximately 250 to 300 words.
- Describe an experience in which you provided assistance to someone. This may have been in a job, as a volunteer, or other role in your life. What did you enjoy about this experience? What did you find challenging? How did you address the challenges?
- The Council’s core values are inclusivity, uncompromising respect and integrity. Choose one of these values. Describe what it means to you. Share a situation in which this value guided your actions.
- How do you keep yourself and your work organized when there are multiple and competing deadlines?