Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired Content Writer
Formed in 1952, the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired (WCBVI) is a statewide non-profit organization that provides services directly to the blind and visually impaired community, as well as community education, awareness and advocacy programs. WCBVI is seeking to hire a content writer.
This is a 25 hours/week, part-time, non-exempt position that is currently based remotely with an option to remain remote in the future.
We are seeking a content writer who will serve as an integral part of our communications team. This person will work closely with the Communications Director to ensure publications are released in a timely and high-level fashion. The contractor will assist with content planning for publications and social media, with input from the Executive Director, Communications Director, Fund Development Director and Vision Service Director.
- Write articles for weekly e-newsletters (Events, Legislative Update, On Sight and News You Can Use)
- Conduct interviews with vision services staff, clients, donors and customers to glean human interest stories for social media and to humanize the impact of our work in articles
- Write articles for quarterly newsletters as needed
- Craft messages and proactively seek content for social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Write press releases as needed
Skills and Attributes
- Experience writing a variety of content, including newsletter articles or blog posts, social media posts and press releases
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interview skills
- Strong research skills
- Ability to translate research into down-to-earth articles that educate people about health, advocacy and other topics
- Extremely well-organized and able to maintain multiple projects
- Committed to inclusivity in working with diverse populations
- Dedicated to on-going learning and continuous improvement
Education and Professional Experience Requirements
- At least one year in a communications/writing role
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications preferred
- Must pass a criminal background check.
The Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
WCBVI offers an attractive benefit package. Pay is commensurate with duties and experience and with similar positions in the nonprofit sector.
Submit a single Microsoft Word file including:
- A cover letter highlighting pertinent experience and training
- Two writing samples
- The answers to these three questions (max. 200 words each): a) The Council’s values are uncompromising respect, integrity and inclusivity. Choose one and discuss what it means to you. b) Write about your experience managing multiple deadlines and assignments, including both long- and short-term projects. c) Describe a time when you had to write about a topic you were unfamiliar with. How did you start? How did you develop a passion for the topic?
Applications are due by 9 a.m. on Monday, February 8, 2021. Applications are to be submitted as one and emailed to Hiring@WCBlind.org. The anticipated start date is March 1, 2021.
You can download this job posting as a Word document.