Store Customer Care Specialist
Formed in 1952, the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired (WCBVI) is a statewide non-profit organization that provides services directly to the blind and visually impaired community, as well as community education, awareness and advocacy programs.
Our mission is to promote the dignity and empowerment of the people in Wisconsin who are blind and visually impaired by providing services, advocating legislation, and educating the public. WCBVI is seeking to hire a qualified Store Customer Care Specialist for our Sharper Vision Store.
This is a 37.5 hours/week, full-time, hourly position with benefits, based on site at the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired, 754 Williamson St, Madison, WI 53703. Occasional evening or weekend hours may occur for Council events.
The Sharper Vision Store is a specialized retail outlet, providing adaptive devices and equipment for those experiencing vision loss and blindness, under the umbrella of the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired. The Store Customer Care Specialist provides exemplary customer service and education to individuals, their families, other agency representatives, and the public. The Store Customer Care Specialist is a member of the Vision Services team and reports to the Education & Vision Services Director.
- Provide exemplary individualized customer service in-person, on the phone, and through email.
- Manage all sales and shipping duties for the Sharper Vision Store.
- Process purchase orders, manage inventory, structure prices, and evaluate products from multiple vendors.
- Showcase, clean, and organize the product display area and stockroom.
- Resolve any concerns customers may experience with equipment or services.
- Work with IT and communications to keep the Sharper Vision Store updated.
- Build relationships with senior centers, low vision support groups, and vendors.
- Participate in Council-sponsored events.
Skills and Attributes
- Extremely well-organized and able to maintain multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals in a patient, empathetic, and understanding manner.
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Committed to inclusivity in working with diverse populations.
- Dedicated to on-going learning and continuous improvement.
Preferred Professional Experience
- Retail or customer service experience preferred, including management/assistant management.
- Experience with vision related services and organizations beneficial.
- Spanish-speaker valued.
The Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer, located on a bus line and bike path. People with disabilities, women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Must pass a criminal background check.
WCBVI offers an attractive benefit package. Pay is commensurate with duties and experience and with similar positions in the nonprofit sector. Hourly wage range is $18 to $21/hour.
- Cover letter, highlighting pertinent experience and training.
- Responses to the following essay questions, keeping responses to no more than 200 words for each question:
a) The Council’s values are uncompromising respect, integrity and inclusivity. Choose one and discuss what it means to you.
b) Imagine you have just moved. Describe with detail how you’d set-up and organize one of the rooms in your new space.
c) This position has many tasks and competing priorities. Using an example from a previous position, describe how you would structure your time to be sure all bases are covered in a timely and effective manner.
All materials should be in Microsoft Word to ensure accessibility.
You can download this job posting as a Word document.