The Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired (WCBVI) is seeking an accounting manager to begin working with us in October 2021. The Council strives to foster a culture of inclusivity, innovation and collaboration. We are looking for a highly detailed oriented and organized individual to join our team. The accounting manager position is half-time (20 hours/week) and is based in the offices of the Council at 754 Williamson Street, Madison, WI 53703.
The mission of the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is to promote the dignity and empowerment of the people of Wisconsin living with vision loss through advocacy, education and vision services. Inclusivity, integrity and uncompromising respect are the values that guide our work with the community and among staff, board, donors and volunteers.
The accounting manager maintains the financial records of the Council according to applicable policy, accounting and legal standards. The accounting manager reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Perform bookkeeping functions for all financial activities including assets, liabilities, income and expense.
- Prepare and process all payroll activity including taxes, benefits, and paid time off.
- File and pay tax and benefit reports in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with the fund development director to support WCBVI fund development campaigns.
- Compile and create budgets based on input from Council departments.
- Monitor monthly actual performance versus the budget and report variances to the Executive Director and Finance Committee.
- Work with Store personnel to manage inventory and ensure appropriate pricing.
- Reconcile all banking, endowment and credit card accounts monthly.
- Prepare information gathered from various sources for the annual audit and tax returns.
- Recommend and implement improvements to assure continued financial success for the Council.
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate financial matters to a varied audience.
- Extremely well organized and able to manage multiple initiatives.
- Motivated to collaborate across all levels of the organization and with community partners.
- Dedication to inclusivity in working with diverse populations.
- Commitment to on-going learning and continuous improvement.
Education and Professional Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in accounting or business management.
- Minimum of five years-experience in a full-charge accounting position using QuickBooks Enterprise or equivalent software.
- Personnel and benefits management experience strongly preferred.
- Nonprofit experience valued.
Rare evening and weekend hours can be expected. Must pass a criminal background check.
The Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
WCBVI offers an attractive benefit package. Pay is commensurate with duties and experience and with similar positions in the nonprofit sector. Pay range is $25 to $35/hour.
Submit cover letter, highlighting pertinent experience and training along with a resume by Friday, September 10, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. Applications are to be submitted in MS Word and emailed to hiring@WCBlind.org. Anticipated start date is early October 2021.
You can download this job posting as a Word document.