Position Description and Application
The Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired (WCBVI) is seeking a qualified individual for a program associate position. The Council strives to foster a culture of inclusivity, innovation, and collaboration. The Program Associate position is full time (37.5 hours/week) and is based in the Council’s offices at 754 Williamson Street, Madison, WI 53703.
The mission of the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is to promote the dignity and empowerment of the people of Wisconsin who live with vision loss through advocacy, education, and vision services. Inclusivity, integrity, and uncompromising respect are the values that guide our work with the community and interactions among staff, board, donors and volunteers.
The Program Associate provides logistical support for Council programs, publications, and events, as well as basic IT support. This position reports to the Operations Manager.
- Provide customer service for Council clients and Sharper Vision Store customers. This includes responding to phone calls, in-person visitors and email inquiries.
- Capture information from potential clients and refer to appropriate staff or resource.
- Input content and design weekly email newsletters.
- Update Council website as directed by supervisor, including posting e-newsletters, updating events, etc.
- Update and maintain Council email lists.
- Support the braille and audio recording of Council newsletters, annual reports, and other publications.
- Provide logistical support for events, including board meetings, Advocacy Days, Gallery Night, Scholarship Recognition, and others.
- Perform IT support as directed by supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned, such as converting PDFs to accessible formats, packaging orders, distributing mail, and helping prepare and review external payments for mailing.
Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals in a patient, empathetic and understanding manner.
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office 365 software including Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Familiarity with WordPress, email marketing, and other online platforms preferred.
- Advanced organization skills and ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and focus on multiple projects.
- Motivation to collaborate across all levels of the organization and with community partners.
- Commitment to inclusivity, uncompromising respect, and integrity in working with diverse populations.
- Dedication to ongoing learning, including the ability to use feedback for performance improvement.
- Ability to speak Spanish is valued.
Education and Professional Experience Requirements
A strong candidate will have experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Customer service
- Online publications
- Website and email list management
- Project management
- Associates Degree or higher preferred
- Nonprofit experience valued
Rare evening and weekend hours can be expected. Must pass a criminal background check.
The Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
WCBVI offers an attractive benefit package. Pay is commensurate with duties and experience and with similar positions in the nonprofit sector. Pay range is $17 to $18/hour.
Submit cover letter highlighting pertinent experience and training along with a resume and responses to the screening questions below. We will accept applications until the position is filled, with first consideration given to those received by Sunday, January 9, 2022. Please email materials in MS Word format to . Preferred start date is February 2022.
Written Screening Questions
In a separate document, please respond to the following three questions in complete sentences, with proper grammar and punctuation. Each response should be approximately 200 to 300 words.
1. Describe an experience in which you provided assistance to someone. This may have been in a job, as a volunteer, or other role in your life. What did you enjoy about this experience? What did you find challenging? How did you address the challenges?
2. The Council’s core values are inclusivity, uncompromising respect, and integrity. Choose one of these values. Describe what it means to you. Share a situation in which this value guided your actions.
3. How do you keep yourself and your work organized when there are multiple and competing deadlines?
This job description is available for download as a Word document.