Position Description and Application
The Program Associate position is full time (37.5 hours/week) and is based in the Council’s offices at 754 Williamson Street, Madison, WI 53703.
The mission of the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is to promote the dignity and empowerment of the people of Wisconsin who live with vision loss through advocacy, education, and vision services. Inclusivity, integrity and uncompromising respect are the values that guide our work with the community and interactions among staff, board, donors and volunteers.
The Program Associate provides logistical support for Council programs, publications, and events, as well as basic IT support. This position reports to the Operations Manager.
• Provide exceptional customer service for Council clients and Sharper Vision Store customers. We offer service to customers over the phone, in-person, through our website, and via email.
• Capture information from potential vision service clients and refer to appropriate staff or resource.
• Design weekly email newsletters with content provided by Communications Department.
• Update Council website as directed by supervisor, including posting e-newsletters, updating events, and maintaining content.
• Provide logistical support for events, including board meetings, Advocacy Days, Gallery Night, Scholarship Recognition, White Cane Safety Day, and others.
• Perform IT support as directed by supervisor.
• Develop and maintain data analytics systems and reports.
• Manage contact lists for multiple projects.
• Support production of braille and audio versions of Council newsletters, annual reports, and other publications with other staff and volunteers.
• Design or develop layout for select print publications as directed.
• Light video/picture editing and posting Council video content to YouTube with quality captions.
• Occasional property management tasks as directed.
• Perform other duties as assigned, such as converting PDFs to accessible formats, packaging orders, distributing mail, and helping prepare and review external payments for mailing.
Skills and Attributes
• Demonstrated ability to work with individuals in a patient, empathetic and understanding manner.
• Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
• Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office 365 software including Excel, Outlook, and Word.
• Familiarity with WordPress, email marketing, and other online platforms preferred.
• Advanced organization skills and ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and focus on multiple projects.
• Motivation to collaborate across all levels of the organization and with community partners.
• Commitment to inclusivity, uncompromising respect, and integrity in working with diverse populations.
• Dedication to ongoing learning, including the ability to use feedback for performance improvement.
• Ability to speak Spanish is valued.
Education and Professional Experience Requirements
A strong candidate will have experience in at least one of the following areas:
• Customer service
• Online publications
• Website and email list management
• Project management
• Associates Degree or higher preferred
• Nonprofit experience valued
Evening and weekend hours will occasionally be requested (for help with events). Must pass a criminal background check.
Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, women, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
WCBVI offers an attractive benefit package. Pay is commensurate with duties and experience and with similar positions in the nonprofit sector. Pay range is $18 to $20 per hour.
Submit cover letter highlighting pertinent experience and training along with a resume and written responses to the three Application Questions below.
We will accept applications until the position is filled, with first consideration given to those received by Sunday, July 31, 2022. Preferred start date is August 2022.
Please email materials in Microsoft Word (.docx) format to Hiring@WCBlind.org.
Please respond to the following three questions in complete sentences, with proper grammar and punctuation. Each response should be approximately 150 to 300 words.
1. Describe an experience in which you provided assistance to someone. This may have been in a job, as a volunteer, or other role in your life. What did you enjoy about this experience? What did you find challenging? How did you address the challenges?
2. The Council’s core values are inclusivity, uncompromising respect, and integrity. Choose one of these values. Describe what it means to you. Share a situation in which this value guided your actions.
3. How do you keep yourself and your work organized when there are multiple and competing deadlines?
This job description is available for download as a Word document.