Main Menu

Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a leading cause of visual impairment and legal blindness among people 50 years and older.

AMD progresses painlessly, leaving many patients unaware that they have the disease.  It damages the macula, the area in the eye that allows you to see details (print or people’s faces, for example) and colors.

AMD does not affect peripheral vision, and it does not lead to complete blindness.  Degeneration often starts in one eye and progresses into the other eye over time. About 90% of AMD is the “dry” type with the remaining 10% being “wet.”

Here are some signs of AMD:

--Straight lines such as telephone poles, the sides of buildings, or streetlight poles look wavy.

--Written text and/or type can appear blurry.

--A dark or empty spot may block the center of your vision.

If you notice any of these changes, schedule a dilated eye exam as soon as possible in order to save your vision.

Although there is no cure for AMD, there are treatments that can limit damage to the eyes and lifestyle changes that can reduce your risk of getting the disease.  For people with impaired vision in both eyes, low vision rehabilitation can help you regain independence with reading, writing and other daily activities.  Call the Council at 800-783-5213 to learn more.

Check our Facebook page often in February for related information, tips and resources.