Main Menu

New to Vision loss and wondering where to get help?

1. If you are new to vision loss, it may be a good idea to get a low vision evaluation. If you or someone you know has difficulty reading mail or the newspaper, seeing medication bottles, managing bills and writing checks, or working on hobbies due to a vision problem, a low vision evaluation may be beneficial.

The low vision evaluation will provide instruction about how to use remaining vision more efficiently and effectively, use color, contrast, and lighting to enhance remaining vision, and use magnifiers to help meet goals.  To schedule an evaluation, please contact:

Amy Wurf, Certified Low Vision Therapist

Phone: (608) 237-8107 or (Toll Free) 1-800-783-5213

2. After the low vision evaluation, Virginia DeBlaey and Jean Kalscheur, (Vision Rehabilitation Teachers), can come to the home and perform an assessment that will identify the needs for Daily Living Skills, adaptations to appliances, or even equipment to make life easier and less frustrating.

Please contact Jean at:

Jean Kalscheur: Vision Rehabilitation Teacher

Phone: (608) 237-8106

3. If more peer support is needed, please see our Low Vision Support Group section.

On this page, there are listings of Low Vision support groups around Wisconsin, listed county.

4. Please take a look at the Aging and Disability Resource Center page.

This page contains useful information and resources for a wide range of age and disability related issues.

5. After the low vision evaluation, it may be determined that adaptive equipment is needed to continue living a full and independent life.

Please visit the Sharper Vision Store for available adaptive equipment.

6. Another resource is the Independent Living Centers. We offer a page that lists all the center locations in Wisconsin.

7. Love to read? The Talking Book and Braille Library in Milwaukee will send through the mail a wide variety of books, magazines, and even descriptive movies. Simply apply for services. 

8. Another resource for help is the Office for the Blind and Visually Impaired, like the Independent Living centers, and ADRC offices, the Office for the Blind and Visually Impaired has field offices throughout Wisconsin.