The Council is seeking a qualified communications coordinator. This is a full-time, exempt position based at the Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired, 754 Williamson St, Madison, WI 53703. Remote work of up to two days per week is negotiable.
The communications coordinator plays a key role in promoting the mission, vision, values and services of WCBVI while maintaining the integrity of our brand. The communications coordinator is part of the communications team, reporting to and working in collaboration with the communications director.
- Writes and/or edits content for Council publications, including print and electronic newsletters, social media, annual reports, event collateral, promotional materials and other content as needed.
- Interviews internal and external content experts and clients to obtain information for publications.
- Designs and prepares e-newsletters for publication using email distribution system.
- Updates Council websites using content management system.
- Supports fund development team with related communications tasks as assigned.
- Contributes to design of print publications.
- Contributes to production of educational and promotional videos.
- Participates in work groups tasked with organizing and realizing various events and other projects.
- Assists the communications director with media relations, advocacy communications, and other core communications functions.
- Gathers metrics to be used in evaluating the effectiveness of communications efforts.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Skills and Attributes
- Outstanding writing ability and strong verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and carry out multiple tasks on overlapping timelines.
- Competence with standard office software for word processing, time management and email.
- Dedication to inclusivity in working with diverse populations.
- Commitment to ongoing learning and continuous improvement.
Additional Desirable Skills:
- Graphic design
- Video editing
- Website management
- Client Relationship Management (CRM) system experience
Education and Professional Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or related fields is desired. Closely related professional experience will be considered in lieu of educational credentials.
- Two years of experience in communications or related field. Entry-level candidates with demonstrated skills obtained through prior educational or volunteer experiences will be considered.
- Nonprofit experience and experience related to disability issues are highly valued.
Occasional evening and weekend hours can be expected.
WCBVI offers an attractive benefit package. Pay is commensurate with duties and experience and with similar positions in the nonprofit sector. Starting salary range: $47,000 to $49,000.
The Wisconsin Council of the Blind & Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, women and BIPOC individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Submit the following in Word format to Hiring@WCBlind.org. We will accept applications until the position is filled, with priority given to applications received by Tuesday, February 13, 2024:
- A current resumé.
- A cover letter highlighting relevant experience and qualifications.
- Brief responses (no more than 250 words) to these three questions:
- The Council’s core values are inclusivity, uncompromising respect, and integrity. Choose one of these values, describe what it means to you, and share a situation in which this value guided your actions.
- How do you keep yourself and your work organized in the face of multiple, competing deadlines?
- What do you think are the most important characteristics of a well-written newsletter article?