Volunteering for an organization you care about can take a lot of forms. Preparing materials for an event or helping in the garden are a couple of the common ways people donate their time. We appreciate all our volunteers, no matter the size of the time commitment they are able to make.
One of the most meaningful ways to volunteer for the Council is to become a member of our Board of Directors. We’re currently accepting applications to serve a two-year term on our board beginning in January of 2023.
The Council’s board is made of people from all over Wisconsin, comprising both individuals living with vision loss and people with unimpaired vision. Board members play a key role in supporting the Council’s mission by providing strategic, governance and fiduciary leadership.
Board responsibilities include:
- Attending quarterly meetings, which may be virtual.
- Serving and participating on at least one committee or workgroup.
- Fostering relationships to promote the Council and grow our donor base.
- Reaching out to your own elected officials to build relationships and promote the Council’s policy priorities.
- Making an annual financial contribution, within your means, to the Council.
- Continually building leadership skills that support the success of the board.
The Council places great value on diversity, understanding that differing life experiences and perspectives are essential to excellent leadership. To that end, we hope to connect with applicants from a variety of personal and geographic backgrounds. We are also particularly interested in candidates with critical skills such as financial oversight and organizational development.
Those interested in joining the board can apply online using the Google form. A Microsoft Word version of the application is also available upon request. Applications are due September 1, 2022. If you have questions, please contact Executive Director Denise Jess at DJess@WCBlind.org or 608-255-1166.